Saturday, March 24, 2012

WonderCon 2012: Day 3 and Beyond!

It's official: WonderCon Anaheim was a bust. Everyone I knew there reported much slower sales than last year in San Francisco. The change in venue, the economy, and the unusually poor weather were certainly all contributing factors. Prism Comics, which represented me and other LGBT creators at the Con, suffered 50% sales declines from last year, which mirrored my own experience at the Prism booth, mitigated only by a flurry of last-minute sales as I threatened to pack up. Maybe that should be my strategy from now on.
At least Sunday started off promisingly with a delightful breakfast with "Kevin Keller" creator Dan Parent from Archie Comics. It's always a pleasure to talk shop with Dan and get the inside scoop on Archie's future plans, some of which are still under wraps. Did I mention that I've always wanted to work for Archie Comics? You might notice a slight similarity in my drawing style. Anyway, with openly gay Kevin making headlines at Archie -- a phenomenon I thought I'd never see in my lifetime -- maybe my dream of working there is within reach after all. 
Next it's on to Seattle for Emerald City Comicon, taking place March 30 thru April 1 at the Downtown Seattle Convention Center. I will once again be a booth partner with Prism Comics, so look for me there throughout the Con!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment