Tuesday, October 19, 2010

New York Comic Con 2010 - Day 0

I am usually represented at conventions by Prism Comics, which does all the advance work, including setting up the panels. Since I knew Prism was not going to cover New York this year, I put in my bid a year in advance for an LGBT panel, which I deigned to moderate. I had never moderated a panel at one of these events before, although I’ve been a panelist, and I’ve moderated similar events at the Evil Aerospace Giant (EAG). Still, it was a move that paid off when the NYCC organizers accepted my panel. Now I just had to find panelists!

I titled the panel “LGBT Comics, Creators, and Characters,” so that I could include straight cartoonists who were championing the inclusion of lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgender content in their work. This paid off handsomely when Archie Comics announced the introduction of Kevin Keller, Riverdale’s first openly gay teen, in “Veronica” #202, which hit the stands in September. As soon as the news broke back in April, I invited Dan Parent, who created Kevin, to join my panel and he agreed.

To round out the panel I wanted to get as many East Coast creators as possible, since they don’t always make the trip to San Diego. Before long I landed famed underground comix creator and graphic novelist Howard Cruse (“Wendel,” “Stuck Rubber Baby,” original editor of “Gay Comix”), Abby Denson (“High School Confidential”), Tim Fish (“Cavalcade of Boys,” “Young Bottoms in Love”), Joan Hilty (“Bitter Girl,” an editor at DC's Vertigo imprint), Phil Jimenez (Eisner and GLAAD-nominated writer/artist for DC and Marvel Comics), and Tim Piotrowski (“Nitsy & Bitsy,” “Kool Aid Gets Fired”).

Since Prism Comics didn’t have a booth at NYCC, I agreed to share a booth with Tim Piotrowski and two other creators. Tim designed the whole space for us and printed a beautiful banner that promoted all of our work. I shipped my books to him in advance, and by the time I showed up at the booth on Friday afternoon, he had already set everything up. All I had to do was show up and make sales.

No comments:

Post a Comment