Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Sign, sign, everywhere a sign

On my drive to and from work at the Evil Aerospace Giant (EAG), I usually listen to “70s on 7” on my Sirius-XM radio. Sometimes I shake things up by spinning the dial to The Blend or The Strobe, but I always end up back on 7 -- the musical comfort food I grew up with.

One night while I was in the middle of Campaign Archie, I began to doubt whether I should really be making a fifth -- and final, I swear -- run at writing for Archie Comics, Kevin Keller notwithstanding. That night I did something I rarely ever do: I prayed for a sign.

The next morning I braced myself for another soul-crushing day at EAG, started my car, and pulled out of the garage. My Sirius-XM radio sparked to life and began to play. The song on the radio was “Jingle Jangle” by The Archies. Not “Sugar Sugar,” the big hit that everyone remembers, but the follow-up single that today would only be recognized by Archie aficionados like myself.

What’s that, you say? “Jingle Jangle” was released in 1969? You’re right, grasshopper. The night before, when I was dialing back from The Blend or The Strobe, I aimed for 7 but must have landed on 6 by accident. Unless you don’t believe in accidents.

You may recall from a previous post that I consider “Jingle Jangle” the worst song The Archies ever recorded. But now that it qualifies as a sign, it’s starting to grow on me.

No comments:

Post a Comment